I hope you will agree with me when I say that:
The most important accessory of a camera is its lens. It’s so important in fact that many professional photographers use different lenses for different occasions. Now, finding the best lenses for your Canon T6 require that you understand the basic types of lenses and how they can fit in your photography arsenal. Then you can pick the one that best fits your needs, whether it’s portrait, landscape, video, etc..
There is two main type of lenses available on the market today and they are prime lenses and zoom lenses. Although you might have heard of fish-eye lenses, wide angle lenses, telephoto lenses, macro lenses, they are just a subset of these two main categories each with its uniqueness.
Prime Lenses vs Zoom Lenses
Zoom lenses are the most versatile of the two. With just the fact that you can zoom by adjusting the focal length, giving you the power to capture something close to you, or “zoom in” to magnify something far away. This gives a lot of flexibility and room to capture subject without attracting too much attention.
When traveling the ability to take subject far away like the building across the street or the amazing landscapes on the road and close subjects like your tasty food or your friends across the table require a flexible range which zooms lenses are great for (the wider range the better: from 18mm to 135mm, or even 200m).
Primes lenses, on the other hand, have a fixed focal length, which means that if you want to get close to your subject you will have to use your feet. Although this may seem like an inconvenient, primes lenses are lighter, smaller, and faster than zoom lenses.
Prime lenses are also great in low light conditions, they have a wider aperture which lets more light in to give you those sharp looking images. For portrait photography primes lenses are usually the defacto choice. In general prime lenses are cheaper than zoom lenses
5 Best Canon T6 Lenses Review
1. Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
A Canon made prime lens, this lens is arguably the most famous and cheapest lens around. This lens is compatible with APS-C DSLR (namely the Canon T6) and Canon full frame cameras.
- An aperture (maximum) of f/1.8 with a 50 mm focal length 1.15 ft.as the least focusing distance and 0.21x as the maximum magnification
- Has a smooth AF that is great for stills, with a Move Servo AF that is silent and continuous, making it also suitable for movies
- Has a focal length of 50 mm for full frame cameras while for APS-C cameras the focal length is 80 mm
- It is most suited for night time events and it also gives amazing portraits and action pictures
- It has a dimension of 1.5*2.7*2.7 inches. Its weight is 5.6 ounces.
- It has a 46-degree diagonal angle view
The lens provides exceptional performance in low light areas. It is also suitable for artistic photographers. In addition, the 7-blade circular design allows this lens to provide a beautiful background slur for movies.
The price is $125 at amazon.com for a new one. A used one goes for $109.99.
2. Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM
This is a long lens by Canon that is tailor-made for weddings and concerts. It is a prime lens that is compatible with APS-C DSLR and Canon full frame cameras.
The specifications for this lens are:
- A f/1.8 maximum aperture with a standard lens that is 85 mm
- It has USM that is ring-type made to ensure quick focus on subjects
- 2.8 feet is the closest focusing distance
- It weighs 15 ounces and has a diameter of 3 inches with a length of 3 inches
- The perspective and viewing angle are extremely natural
Due to the length of this lens, it is ideal when capturing people’s faces because it does not cause face distortion.
It is most effective in areas with low light penetration. Anyone looking to control field focus for shallow depth, this is the camera to buy.
Buying it new will cost you roughly $369.00 while a used one goes for $302.57. This makes it one of the more affordable lenses on amazon.com.
3. Canon EF-S 10-18 mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
This is a zoom lens with an ultra-wide angle. It is one of the most inexpensive, smallest, and lightest lenses in the class of zoom lenses. This makes it a design ideal for traveling, architecture, and landscape photography.
Its other features are:
- Being a Canon EF-S lens, it is compatible with DSLR (APS-C) cameras
- Presence of STM technology that delivers high-quality movies
- The Stepping Motor also ensures clear audio recording
- It is coated by a super spectra coating that is an anti-flare technology
- The lens is made by 14 elements in 11 groups.
- It is a 7-blade diaphragm camera
- The minimum aperture for this lens is 22 mm with a maximum magnification of 0.15*
- Closest focusing distance is 0.22 m
- Physically, the lens has a diameter of 67 mm and weights 240 g
- Optical image stabilizer
This lens is mainly polycarbonate plastic that reduces the weight significantly and thus, it is amazing for any traveling photographer.
Canon has kept the price low to attract enthusiasts from all over. A new one will cost you $279 while a used one goes for $238.
4. Canon EF-S 55 mm – 250 mm f/ 4-5.6 IS STM
Another great product by Canon that falls into the class of zoom lenses, it is a perfect fit for all photographers and videographers especially the non-professionals. The lens is lightweight, compact and has anOIS that ensures perfect capturing of sharp images for objects that are far away. This makes it efficient when used by a traveling or nature photographer.
Its other features are:
- It mounts on APS-C cameras and is compatible with DSLR cameras
- Gives high resolution and contrast images of high quality because of having a UD lens element
- The least focusing distance is 2.79 ft. while the maximum magnification is 0.29*
- It is made by 15 elements placed in 12 groups
- It uses a rear focus system for adjustment of focus
- 27 Degree at 50 ft. to 6 degrees at 15 ft. is the diagonal angle view
- The focusing distance (closest) is 0.85 m
- The product has dimensions of 4.4*2.8*2.8 and a weight of 13.3 ounces
- The filter size for this lens is 58 mm in diameter
Canon has included their famous STM focus motor in this lens thus it’s image sharpness do not disappoint.
In addition, the price for this lens is surprisingly affordable considering all the specs it has. A new one goes for $155 while a used one sells at $80.
5. Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 DC HSM
This is a Sigma company made a product and it is famous for being as one of the best lenses when it comes to artistic photography. It’s a prime lens that is a bit wider and sharper allowing it to let in more light.
Other features include:
- Has an angle view of that almost perfectly mimics the human vision
- Has a bright f/ 1.4 aperture
- It has an HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor), Multi-Layer coating that is described as super, and designed by TSC (Thermally Stable Composite) material
- Its magnification ratio is 1:6:8 with focusing distance of 11.8 inches at the minimum
- Made by a rounded diaphragm of 9 blades
- Its dimensions (diameter * length) are 74.5*63.3 and its weight is 435 grams at the maximum
- It has a high-speed, quiet and accurate autofocus
This lens is best suited for dark places or for achieving a depth of field that is super shallow. In addition, there is an extra third-stop for shutter speeds that are higher especially at night. Though it is not canon branded lens, it works amazingly in canon T6 cameras.
The price for this lens is at $499.00 for a new one while a used one will go for $351.00, all at amazon.com.